Friday 24 April 2009

crawlies. love 'em.

"We hope that, when the insects take over the world, they will remember with gratitude how we took them along on all our picnics."
-Bill Vaughn-

After about 8 months of occupying my room at Hall 8, upon packing and thoroughly clearing out my room, I have realized that my room has magically evolved into a mini self-sustaining ecosystem.


1. Red ants.
Most commonly found in my room (for an unknown reason, they only started to appear in large numbers about 3 months ago), I usually encounter them crawling around on my study table and walls. Occasionally, I spot some of them on my bed and pillow. As to date, I have yet to think of the possibilities that I might have accidentally killed many of them when I'm sleeping, either by accidentally swallowing them or by squashing them flat with my heavy body.

There was once when I mass killed them by pouring my nail polish remover over them.

=)

On a typical night, I usually kill about 10 or so of them.

2. Spiders
Two kinds: The jumpy/hairy kind, and the lanky long legged one.

On usual occasions, I normally don't see them much, but there are times when I would see the jumpy/hairy one jumping around. I try to ignore them, because I think it's plain disgusting to kill them.

Lately, I've been encountering more of the lanky, long legged kind - the one with a tiny negligible body and thin wobbly legs which look like they might break any time. I've just realized that on usual occasions, I don't normally find them, because they were hiding in my old shoe boxes and among my last semester's abandoned lecture notes. In two days of clearing out my room, I have spotted six (yes, I counted) of them:
- One among the styrofoam pieces which was kept in a box which my printer came in.
- Another among my last semester's lecture notes.
- One in my shoe box.
- One in between my shoe boxes.
- One under my bed.
- Another one among my text books.

I didn't kill them (as mentioned before, I think killing spiders are disgusting), and I so do not want to know the possible places they might be in now; or any more of them that I might find in the days to come.

*shudders*

3. Beetles
Not the black tiny ones, but the significantly sized brown ones, which look slightly more intimidating.

I've had a few noisily buzzing around in my room, but I try to ignore them. I think it's utterly disgusting to kill them. I usually find them buzzing around at night, and them mysteriously dead the next morning. I sometimes use a tissue to pick them up and throw them away, but lately I have decided to ignore them.

There is currently a dead one lying at the bottom of one of the corners of my study table. It's sight is fortunately hidden from me, and I don't think I want to bother about it. *ignorance is bliss*

4. Other insects...
Like the semi-decomposed one (which was about 1.5 inches long, may I add) I felt squishing under the palm of my hand when I was picking up my packet of detergent.

I freaked out.

I don't know how long it had been dead there, because I don't usually pick up my packet of detergent; I just scoop the powder off the top and leave the packet lying on the floor.

The other time, I spotted this huge buzzing... uh... thing on the floor, and I was too disgusted to do anything about it.

It was fortunately gone the next day. Don't ask me how.

You may think how the hell was I able to survive with all those crawlies as my room mates, but believe me, if you encounter them frequently enough, you'll get immune to them.

Ever since I started clearing out my room, I've been sneezing non-stop. I have always suspected my room would be dirtier than it looked, but damn, I didn't know my room was that dirty.

You could actually see dust particles flying around.

As of such, I am now escaping my own room.

I think I'll go shopping instead.

No comments: