Wednesday 5 May 2010

Losing stuff. Sometimes it matters for the right reasons.

“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.”
-Oscar Wild-

You know how sometimes something may seem like it isn't a big deal until you lose it, and then you realize how the many small things in your life actually matters much more than you think?

Sometimes, the Chinese saying "Old don't go, new won't come" doesn't seem to apply.


*I'm listening to 21 Guns by Green Day as I'm typing this. No point, just a random comment.*

I'm not talking about stuff like your latest state-of-the-art cellphone, your Macbook or your iPod.

*Which reminds me. Should I get an iPod classic, or an iPod Touch? The iPod Touch is pretty much to me like "been there, done that" kinda thing so I was thinking of trying something new, but on the other hand it's like I've been with an iTouch for such a long time I still can't get used to not owning one.*

Or your iPad.


*Seriously, who needs an iPad when they can just get a tablet? You don't need an iPad to show that you're rich. With time, people can eventually tell. Duh.*

I'm talking about the littler stuff. The stuff that matters to nobody else but you.

An old pen you used since primary school, a stuffed animal, a RM50 colorless screen cellphone from 15 years ago.

Which then might prompts some to ask "So, if something is expensive, it can't be labeled as 'the littler stuff'?"

Well, yes you can.

Like how I'm still in moaning for my iPod Touch even after I 'drowned' it about a month ago.

*By ACCIDENT.*

It is sometimes hard to determine whether something of utmost importance to you is really because if its sentimental value, or just for the mere fact that you've spent lots and lots of money on it.

Here are two tips which might help you decide:

1. When you lose/break something, the first thing that comes to your mind is "Damn, I loved that thing! I could never live without it!" rather than "Damn, that thing cost me a fortune! I'll never save up enough money to get a new one."

2. You find it hard to get over it, and you still miss your old item, even when you've got yourself a newer, better one.

I guess you could feel sad after losing something expensive, but it's a whole other feeling to lose something which is more important to you than the cash you paid for it. It's like... a less painful version of losing a loved one.

Losing something expensive would be more like... a less painful version of getting mugged. Or maybe worse.

*Lol I think I'm pretty good at analogies.*

Anyway. My point is, my cute purple puppy hairpin broke. I loved that one. =(

No comments: